How to Incorporate or Register Your Business
How To Register Your Business
The Basic Steps
Registration of a Sole Proprietorship or Partnership
- Select Your Business Structure.
- Create a Business Name.
- Determine Availability of Your Business Name Through the NUANS Service.
- Register Your Business Name.
- Register for Permits, Licences and Taxes.
- Complete a Partnership Agreement (optional)
- Open a Bank Account.
- Start Your Business.
There Are Basically Two Types
Of Business Setup In Canada
You Must Either "Register" or "Incorporate" Your Business. It is the law.
Ask An Incorporation Lawyer
How To Incorporate Your Business
The Basic Steps
- Select Corporate Jurisdiction: Generally this will be your home province.
- Create a name for your company.
- See if your company name is available using NUANS. NUANS keeps a database of all registered company names. You order a search to see if your proposed name is taken. If not, you may register the name for your company.
- Prepare the Articles of Incorporation
- Submit & Register Articles of Incorporation
- Obtain permits & licenses e.g. Sales taxes and vendors permits: Note that if your sales will be under $30,000 you do not need to register for, collect or pay GST or HST on your sales.
- Optional: Purchase Corporate Seal & Minute Book: For a small business these items look pretty on your bookshelf, but really do nothing.
- Set Up Bank Account
- You are done. Start Your Business!
Canada Trusts CanLaw Online since 1996
This is not legal advice it is information .