What things can a licensed lawyer or paralegal do?


Represent clients at court or at a tribunal. A licensed lawyer or paralegal can represent someone at, or give legal advice about, a court or tribunal proceeding. A licensed lawyer or paralegal can help with forms or documents (e.g., statements of claim, or statements of defence) that are related to a court and tribunal proceeding.

Provide services or advice requiring the use of legal principles or legal judgment. A lawyer or licensed paralegal can give advice about legal rights or responsibilities. For example, a licensed lawyer or paralegal can give legal advice about a traffic offence or small claims court. This applies even if there is no law suit or other proceeding.


Only a lawyer can prepare or help prepare legal documents such as wills, powers of attorney, custody or settlement agreements that pertain to family or matrimonial law.


Consider this, When a judge orders anger management, s/he is practicing medicine without a licence.

There are no standards for anger management and the field is full of quacks. Probably the same ones who used to sell repressed memory recovery?

1) There is no legal advice on this web site


This site is intended to introduce you to CanLaw and to provide some basic legal information. Nothing on this site is intended to be legal advice. General legal information may or may not apply to any particular set of circumstances. For correct answers to your legal questions, you should consult a lawyer.


2) We are not responsible for the content of sites other than our own

Some of the links on this site point to other web sites. Although we have been careful in selecting the sites to which we provide links, we have no control over external web sites' contents; and we therefore accept no responsibility for anything you may see on such sites nor liability for any inaccuracies contained thereon.


If you see an error please use our contact page to inform us.



This is not legal advice, it is information

Find criminal lawyers, family law lawyers, custody divorce lawyers, real estate lawyers, wills and estates lawyers,

CanLaw ask a lawyer