CanLaw Lawyer

Referral Service




If your lawyer's bill is too much or more than you bargained for, you can move to have it reduced.How to effectively get the bill from your lawyer reduced.

How to have your high lawyer's bill legally reduced by the assessment process. You  only have 30 days to act on lawyer complaints, references, ratings.

The first step is discuss the account with your lawyer.   Your lawyer or someone in your lawyer's office can tell you exactly what your lawyer did in your case and how long it took.

If you tell the lawyer why you feel the bill is too large, your lawyer may be willing to reduce the account. It is worth a try and if your  request is refused, you will not be faulted by the assessment officer for trying to resolve matters amicably.

Your lawyer must provide you with a invoice or account  which shows a lump sum for fees and a breakdown of individual disbursements.  Disbursements are monies that your lawyer has spent on your behalf to pay other parties who have provided services in support of your case.

If you did not receive a detailed and final bill, contact your lawyer to request one.




If you experience difficulties in obtaining a bill from your lawyer, the Complaints Department of your local Law Society might be able to assist you, but be careful

Do not ever trust any law society. They work for the lawyers, not for you. Meticulously document all contacts with any law society. Remember the law society is really just a glorified lawyers' union and cartel designed not to protect you from lawyers, but to protect lawyers from you.

An Assessment Officer who reviews the bill is usually an official of the  Court in your province.

WHERE TO START: Contact your local court office to find out how to start and assessment review and hearing of the invoice from your law firm.

The rules and forms differ from province to province, but the procedure is very simple and easy to follow. It just takes a bit of effort by you.

You probably should make an appointment to have the bill assessed as a precaution while you are negotiating with the lawyer. This process used to be called taxing/

Try to ascertain what the charges are for and if they seem reasonable. Do not allow this to consume too much time.

If your lawyer refuses to adjust her bill, you can seek to have the amount assessed by a Court Assessment Officer.

In Ontario if you apply for the assessment within one month of delivery of the bill the assessment is automatic.

If you delay longer then the month, you will be required to seek either the lawyer's consent to the assessment or a judge's order. Obtaining the judge's order may require you to retain yet another lawyer, although it is possible to represent yourself.

Delays may weaken your position and make it appear you just are trying to get out of paying a legitimate bill. In addition, obtaining a judge's order could be costly and the judge may refuse your request for an assessment. and order you to pay some court costs.

"One personally regrets having so many reasons for not being able to respect you." Anon

NEW Directory and Index for all of CanLaw

Rate Your Lawyer

Browse the National Directory of Lawyers
CanLaw ask a lawyer